Tilganga Eye Centre Expansion
In 2008, construction on the newly expanded Tilganga Centre culminated giving way to a new facility to compliment its existing building and accommodate its exponential growth. Since 1994, a dramatic increase in demand for eye services has necessitated that the Tilganga facility accommodate 2,500 outpatients with the capacity to perform 175 surgeries each week.
The expansion of the Tilganga Eye Centre transforms it from an outpatient cataract surgery center to a full-scale, comprehensive eye surgery center. Aside from broadening the quality of eye care services offered the center allows for:
- the diagnosis and treatment in all areas of ocular pathology
- addresses the pressing need for inpatient facilities
- acts as a referral facility for complex cases throughout the Himalayan region
- provides expansion for an American standard ophthalmology residency program
- offers more optimal space for ongoing research