- Workenesh Cheru
- Dr. Zelalem Gizachew Tekle
- Climbers Scale Dhaulagiri to Cure Blindness
- Dr. Akwasi Ahmed
- Healthy Vision Association
- Ongyel Sherpa
- Gebretsahme Welde Selase
- Dr. Sadik Taju Sherief
- Eye Center in Oregon Initiates Global Partners Program
- Dr. Abraham Aregay
- Dr. Helen Sisay
- Dr. Angira Shrestha
- Four Friends Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro to Help #cureblindness
- Dr. Daniel Getaneh
- Donor Chops Off Dreadlocks to Raise Money for HCP
- Dr. Kumale Tolesa
- Family Foundation Gives Large Donation after watching “Out of Darkness” on 60 Minutes
- Curt Schlosser
- USAID/ASHA: Improving lives together through Innovation
- Healthy Vision Association (HVA)
- Anil Rai
- Dr. Wah Wah Lwin
- Nunu Weleye
- Henok Lema
- Eskedar Haji
- Donor Spotlight: Aston’s Birthday Gift
- Dr. Alemu Kerie Tesfaw, Ophthalmologist
- Nurse Marta
- Deb White
Melkemu is a 14 year-old boy who was brought to a high volume cataract outreach at Arba Minch Hospital in Ethiopia by his father, Melkechi. Subdued and shy, with cataracts in both eyes, Melkemu spoke so softly you couldn’t even hear him.
Melkemu's cataracts started to develop seven years ago. Four years ago, his vision had deteriorated so significantly that he was only able to perceive light. Bullied for his blindness at school, he was forced to withdraw after the 2nd grade. With no options for childcare available, Melkemu accompanied his father everyday in the fields as he worked, sitting under a tree waiting for him to finish.
The morning after his surgery, Melkemu’s eye patches were removed by HCP Affiliated Ophthalmologist, Dr. John Welling. When his patches came off, Melkemu kept his head down and eyes closed before taking a deep breath, as if mustering the courage to face his new reality. Melkemu blinked in the brightness of the morning sun - immediately tears began to run down his cheeks.
Dr. Welling asked “how many fingers” and for the first time, you heard Melkemu’s voice, “one.” Dr. Welling moved his arm back a foot, (louder) “two” then a few feet away, his voice (even louder), “five.” The impact of sight restoration is reflected in Melkemu’s story. Watch Melkemu’s video below to experience this moment with him and hear Dr. Welling talk about his procedure.